Careers Working in Fish and Game

There are many career opportunities available for working in Fish and Wildlife. Each of the positions has one thing in common, protecting the wildlife of the area and the habitats that the wildlife relies on to live. There are several popular areas of careers in Fish and Game.

Internship and Graduate Programs

According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service (, both an internship and graduate program is open to the public as part of their “Pathways Program”.

The Internship Program is for Current Students. It provides students in high schools, colleges, trade schools and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while completing their education.

The Recent Graduate Program is intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who, within the previous two years, graduated from qualifying educational institutions with an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from qualifying educational institutions.

Administrative Positions

The Department of Fish and Wildlife employs many people that are specialists in the administrative field including budgets, public relations, accounting, and clerical positions. There are often vacancies in these positions throughout each state.

The qualifications for an administrative position will vary by specialty. Most often a person applying for one of these positions will need to have at least a two year degree, additional job specific training, as well as experience working in the field.


The Department of Fish and Wildlife employs many classes of biologists including botany, wildlife, marine/fisheries, and general biologists.

Botany and Wildlife biologists perform many tasks related with field activities and wildlife management including conducting environmental protection studies and wildlife research. Wildlife biologists will tag or band birds and other wildlife to study their habits.

Marine/fishery biologists perform biological work that is connected with the management of fisheries and they also conduct  water quality tests. They also capture and tag different types of fish to study and analyze.

In order to qualify for these positions a person must have a college degree in botany, wildlife management, zoology, fishery management, marine biology, or some other related field.

Environmental Scientist

An environmental scientist is responsible for gathering information on different environmental issues. They also perform environmental research analysis, investigations, surveys, and prepare reports.

In order to qualify for these positions a person must have a college degree in physical science, environmental science, physical science, or a related field.

Wildlife Interpreter

Wildlife interpreters conduct work that involves planning, developing, implementing, coordinating, and administering interpretive programs for the Department’s ecological reserves and wildlife areas.

An interpreter will oversee public activities and serve as a contact for community outreach programs. In addition, they will help develop brochures and maps and conduct demonstrations and tours.

In order to qualify for these positions a person must have a degree in zoology, wildlife management, botany, fisheries management or other related fields. This must include at least 15 credits of course work in natural resource communications, natural resource interpretation, or other subjects that are similar.

Wildlife Technician

Wildlife technicians work at temporary or fixed installations such as a fish hatchery or out in nature. These individuals are involved with releasing game birds, hatching and raising fish, and cleaning animal pens and ponds. In addition, they will remove barriers from rivers and streams and install and maintain fish ladders, screens, and traps.

Technicians also help other departments in Fish and Game by collecting data on fish, wildlife, and plants. In order to qualify for a wildlife technician position a person must have at least half a year of experience working in a forestry or wildlife park. A person with a year of experience in the construction or mechanical fields will also be considered for these positions.

Seasonal Employees

The Department of Fish and Wildlife also sometimes hire seasonal employees to work with their permanent staff. This offers a great way to get experience and learn more about the DFG.